Monday, November 5, 2007

unholy frittata

fall brings the past closer for me. something about the cooling air seems to make clear the back window of my mind, as if its been mud-smeared the entire year and has just now been wiped clean. people and places that have been partially forgotten, by a deliberate act or simply due to the passage of time, suddenly come to mind, begging to be discussed or enjoy a private audience in my thoughts. autumn also speaks of change and growth, the beginning of the new academic year, time to entertain new ideas and turn inwards toawards more intellectual pursuits. fall is the season of the mind- a time for thinking and remembering, learning from my own past and from the experience of others.

on one hand, i enjoy the increased capacity for concentration and deep thought seemingly magically sprung from chill air. on the other hand, i dread the dredging up of memories sometimes best forgot. often, by the end of autumn i am devasted, wrecked, and broken by events that could only be changed if time were to turn back as easily as mind. the past few years, however, i've come through strong. i feel like the proverbial clay vessel forged in the heat of a kiln, as though the fires that formerly consumed me now only serve to make me hard and beautiful. hopefully, this year will be the same and winter will find me burned clean, strength restored by the fires that sought to destroy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment