Wednesday, August 2, 2006

nature humps a vacuum


The puritans thought that God decided whether or not a person would be going to heaven before they were born, so it didn't matter what they did in their lives. Kind of like Rasputin thought that in order to be forgiven (and saved) first, you had to sin. So he sinned a lot and told people it was good for his soul. That's kind of weird to think about. Puritans going around stealing and adultering and setting things on fire (in my imagination, there are a lot of pyromaniac puritans) and then still being saints. Or other people going around doing good deeds and being helpful and giving money to the poor and saving kids that got caught in the puritans' blazes and then being damned. I don't really get how that was supposed to work, and my history book is being somewhat unhelpful. It talks about the religion of the pilgrims for about 2 sentences for each group. It says the quakers believed that anyone could talk to God and therefore priests and ministers are uneccessary. Kind of sounds like a bunch of kids trying to form a club without electing a president. Guess it worked out for them though- they're still sellin oats and whatnot. Hmm.. I suppose all that cannibalism didn't affect the puritans' holy status either. This history book makes the indians (excuse me, native americans) seem a lot meaner than the cowering tree-huggers portrayed in my former history books. These indians brain babies and get violent sometimes. I like that better, it seems more accurate. Yeah, they were massacred and died by the millions, but I always thought they must have at least tried to fight back. The version where they were just trying to be friends with the settlers never quite felt right to me. Made them seem real dim witted. Like "You just shot my entire family and took everything I own, but we can still get along, right?"
I actually didn't have anything to say in this blog,  that's why I'm rambling about my history book again. John Bill took back his Playstation so I can't watch Buffy at my house anymore and my mom is using the TV at her house. I feel all Buffy deprived. That happens when I go without for 12 hours. I've timed it.
Oh, hey, I almost forgot. We got rid of our rooster! I don't have to extract zygotes from my eggs anymore!! And I can sleep later that 6 am. Its great.

No comments:

Post a Comment