Sunday, February 10, 2008

flying around like a bacon crucible


Game Over.

I saw my last doctor a few days ago. No, I haven't been cured or even diagnosed. I simply reached the end of the list of doctors that my insurance will approve.

Half the so-called doctors I saw acknowledged that there was something very wrong in my body, but claimed they were not the right person to fix it. The other half tried to convince me that there wasn't anything wrong at all and so there was nothing they could be expected to do either. Some of them lied to me about test results, some of them made up lies about me and wrote them as fact in my medical record. Then they and my subsequent "doctors" used these lies as justification for denying me healthcare. I stand by my initial assertion that seeking medical help is a waste of time and resources (I hate being right).

What will I do? The only thing I can do: try to make the best of the time I have left (however long that may be) and use this crippled, compromised body to the best of my ability while I still can; keep thinking, keep reading, keep quilting. Maybe another opportunity for recovery will present itself, maybe it won't. Recovery or death, I have to prepare either way.

Part of me is still shocked and disbelieving. How could this happen? How can discrimination and irresponsibility be so rampant in the Best Country on Earth? How could this possibly happen to me and the thousands of other Americans struggling against the healthcare system? I only wanted what was promised:

Life, Liberty, The Pursuit of Happiness.
Was I asking too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment